Sunday, September 9, 2012

Shrimp Burgers? Say What?

So, as many of you know, I currently have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest. For those of you not aware of its power, it has the charm of the Lotus Eaters in it's ability to entertain and inspire while taking up colossal amounts of lost time. However, Pinterest and my new favorite blog, introduced me to a recipe that has completely blown me away and will, not surprisingly, take over your taste buds...
Forewarning, I know that the words shrimp and burger don't necessarily sound like they go well together, but once you try these babies, you'll agree that they're a match made in heaven.
Ok!  To start off, whisk together the mayo (the recipe calls for light, but I just used regular), green onions, parsley, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and garlic.
Process a slice or two of whole wheat bread in the food processor to form crumbs.  You’ll need 3/4 cup of crumbs, but the number of slices needed to produce this amount will vary depending on the type of bread you use.  You could use white bread to make your crumbs too. Instead, I stumbled upon this delicious gem while shopping at the HEB. Same effect, twice the flavor!
Next process the shrimp until there’s a mixture of finely chopped pieces and larger chunks. Be careful and don't pulse them too much or they'll turn to mush.
Gently fold the bread crumbs and shrimp into the mayo mixture.
Gently form the mixture into patties. You may want to make them a little on the thin side so they don't fall apart or burn too easily. 
Cover the patties and refrigerate them for 30 minutes.  I ended up leaving them in for closer to 45, so they were more firm and easier to handle. 
A nonstick skillet is really useful for this recipe.  You can use a regular skillet, but you’ll need more oil or butter, and your burgers might stick even then. I used olive oil and added a small amount just to cover the bottom of the pan and to make sure that they didn't stick too much. 
Gently place the shrimp patties into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side.  The cooking time will depend on how thick your patties are, of course.
Serve as-is, with lemon wedges on the side, or on buns with lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce. I used homemade herb mayo (basil, italian seasoning, dill, parsley, and mayo)
Shrimp Burgers
Serves 4
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
Lemon wedges (for serving)

1/2 cup of Goya Breadcrumbs
1 pound extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined 
3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 scallions, sliced thin

1. Add the shrimp to the food processor, pulse the shrimp until there is an even mix of finely minced and coarsely chopped pieces, about 7 pulses.
2. Whisk the mayonnaise, scallions, parsley, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and garlic together in a large bowl until uniform. Gently fold into the processed shrimp and breadcrumbs until just combined.
3. Scrape the shrimp mixture onto a small baking sheet, divide it into 4 equal portions, and loosely pack each into a 1 inch-thick patty. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
4. Heat the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Gently place the shrimp patties into the pan and cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side.  The cooking time will depend on how thick your patties are, of course.
5. When plated, gently squeeze lemon on all patties and serve on a toasted wheat bun. Then enjoy it with someone you love :)

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER