Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cubanisms...and their translations...

Here it is for all you that can't figure out what the heck us Cubans are saying.....
  The Original Cuban Saying
CUBANICS
The Intended English Meaning
No me importa un pito
I don't care a whistle
I don't care at all
Me importa tres pepinos
I care three cucumbers
I don't care at all
Me sacaron el hígado
They took my liver out
I worked like a slave
Me sacaron el kilo
They took the penny out of me
I worked like a slave
Le pusistes la tapa al pomo
You put the lid on the jar
You really messed up this time!
Tú no pintas nada
You don't paint anything
This doesn't concern you
Estás comiendo de lo que pica el pollo
You are eating what the chicken nibble
You're wasting your time in foolish things
Estás acabando
You are finishing
You're a big success
¡Te la comiste!
You ate it!
You did it great!
You kicked it!
Te estás metiendo en camisa de once varas
You are getting into an eleven yard shirt
You're getting into big trouble
Eramos pocos y parió Catana
We were few and Catana gave birth
There were a lot of people here, and then more showed up
Es un arroz con mango
It is a rice with mango
It's a very complicated thing
No tiene dos dedos de frente
He/She doesn't have two fingers of forehead
He/she has no intelligence at all
Para luego es tarde
For later, it's late
Don't wait, let's do it now
Nos dejastes plantados
You left us planted
You stood us up
Me embarcaste
You shipped me off
You stood us up
Se formó
It formed
Here comes trouble!
Es la pata del diablo
He/she is the leg of the devil
Likes to play pranks
Este huevo quiere sal
This egg wants salt
What does he/she wants?
¡Qué pesao me cae!
He falls so thick on me!
I cannot stand him!
Camarón que se duerme, se lo lleva la corriente
Shrimps that falls asleep, current that takes it away
Wake up or you are going to loose your opportunities
Me voy a hacer el de la vista gorda
I'm going to do the one with the fat sight
I'm going to ignore that
El no dispara un chicharo
He doesn't shoot a pea
He doesn't do any work
Hay gato encerrado
There's a cat locked up
There is something hidden here
Tiró la casa por la ventana
He/she threw the house out the window
He/she pulled all the stops
El horno no está para galleticas
The oven is not for cookies
It's not the right moment for that
Te pusistes para tu número
You put yourself to your number
You got on the ball
Por si las moscas
For if the flies
Just in case
Juntos pero no revueltos
Together but not scrambled
Although we are together on this, there is a big difference between us
Perro que ladra no muerde
Dog that barks, doesn't bite
Too many words but no action
Tira la piedra y esconde la mano
Throws the stone, and hides the hand
He/she knows how to do things without being discovered
Una tempestad en un vaso de agua
A tempest in a glass of water
A storm in a teacup
Le cayó comején
Termites are falling on him/her
He/She became nuts
Le faltan unos cuantos tornillos
He/she is missing few screws
He/she is nuts
Le zumba el merequetén
It heaves the merequeten
It blows our minds
Comiéndose un cable
Eating a cable
Going through difficult times
Se tiraron p'al medio de la calle
They threw themselves into the middle of the street
They went all out
Caminan con los codos
They walk with their elbows
They're cheapskates
Pedro cantó el manicero
Pedro sang the peanut vendor
Peter died
El se da lija
He sand papers himself
He is a narcissist



About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER