Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Visitando La Frontera...Greetings from Aggies Reaching Out (ARO) South Texas

Salutations from McAllen! This past Sunday we made the trek from College Station (or as my Alle calls it, ECollege Estation) to the valley to work with three middle schools in the McAllen area. The ride down here was nonstop laughing, singing, and joking thanks to our awesome counselors, random walkie talkie talk,  and some albeit, inspiring scenery. After getting a slightly late start we arrived around 7pm and went straight to dinner because these college students needed a well deserved break and food in their tummies. Needless to say after I arrived to our hotel I unpacked and passed out.

My days have started around 6:30am and usually end around 9:30pm but every minute has been worth it. Our middle schools have been our second homes for the past three days and I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of such an incredible program. Counselors get to shadow 8th graders for the majority of the day, interacting with them in classes and at lunch as well as after school and both groups have loved every minute.

As an advisor, I have the opportunity to see firsthand the development of our counselors as leaders on this trip and I have no doubt that they will continue to go on to do great things after this program and past graduation. Our students greet each challenge with flexibility, openness, and selflessly work with their Directors to find creative alternatives. Each counselor is unique and have different attributes and talents that make working with them an incredible experience and I know that they are making an invaluable difference in the lives of these 8th graders. Although I may not be an Aggie, but in my opinion as an honorary Aggie, these counselors are a true reflection of what Aggies should stand for, how they should act, and  I know that these students parents and fellow Aggies would be so proud of these students if they were here. Until next time, Thanks and Gig em'!

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER