Friday, July 27, 2012

Turning the Flirty 30--working in the forever 24 world of Student Affairs (Part 3 of 3 Milestone celebration)

I'll start this post with a quote from my good friend Heather, "So aren't you just the overachiever, getting all of the grown up stuff done in what...2 months!!" And we laughed...and then I shrugged and said, "Well, when in Rome..."

I think that this conversation is very telling when thinking about my reaction to turning 30. Unlike many people when they turn the big 3-0 I didn't freak out or begin a mid-life crisis. I had just accomplished two other incredible feats without breaking a sweat (well, there were some almost schvitzing moments, so not completely sweat proof, but pretty close.) After buying a house and getting married, turning 30 seemed like a piece of cake (which I now have to be even more weary of- damn metabolism-lol). I'm looking forward to maintaing my status as a flirty and fun 30 year old and plan to continue to Carpe Diem as often as possible.

Now, some of you may be wondering how I am maintaining this attitude. It is very simple...
a) Amazing friends and family to keep me grounded
b) Great genes
c) Working in a field that keeps you young or at least that's what I keep telling myself

In my world I have the great fortune to be able to walk into a room, and depending on the day, completely fit in.What I mean by this is everyday I get to work with undergrads whom for the most part upon meeting me always assume that I'm only a few years older than them (if they only knew...maniacal laugh). But seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've walked in a room sat down and had a student say to me, "Hey, when do you think the presenter is going to show up?" Unbeknownst to them, I am said presenter. More times than not when my students find out my real age they are in shock (or at least play it off that way--you can bet that I will never ask them if they're just trying to be nice).

I would be remiss if I didn't also say that having amazing co-workers definitely helps. This year we celebrated my birthday along with two of our other friends in an unforgettable way. Before I go into the story, I have to share this picture first so that you can truly appreciate the awesomeness of this experience.


To celebrate our birthday's Katy and Amber took out to lunch at Lupe's Tortilla. While at lunch we talked about everything from family, friends, work, and even how Lyndon wouldn't mind owning a Lupe's Tortilla. After that comment, Lyndon's name was officially changed to Lupita. We also had a debate over the likeablilty of Nacho Libre, unfortunately Lyndon and I lost that battle. After lunch came, Katy and Amber decided that it would be a brilliant idea to tell the waiter that it was our birthdays after seeing the celebratory spectacle at the table next to us. Let's just say it included predominately gringos/non-Latinos singing Las Mananitas, oversized sombreros, and dessert with candles. Why wouldn't this be a good idea for us?? About 10 minutes later it was our turn. They place two ginormous sombreros on mine and Andrew's heads (after both he and Lyndon reminding the waiter that it was my birthday today) and an itty bitty sombrerito on Lyndon. They sang, we laughed, and tried to avoid being mortified. The pièce de résistance however was when the waiter, a college student, asked in total seriousness, "So, are you all related?" and of course, me without missing a beat, replied "Yes." He answered "Cool, I hope you guys have a great birthday." We just looked at each other and busted out laughing. Seriously? Look at the picture and you tell me if you think there is a chance in hell that we're related. This has now become our running joke, "I mean, yeah, of course we're related, the resemblance is uncanny."

Once we got back to the office to celebrate some more with our other co-workers, we retold the events of the lunch and not surprisingly, laughter ensued. I mean if we're related it's truly amazing how we not only changed race, but religion, and ethnicity. What a hell of a gene pool! So, I'll leave you with our family portrait...
Long live the Birthday triplets, Ignacio, Chiquita, and Lupita Banana!

Photobucket

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER