Friday, September 2, 2011

Nom nom nom! Can't wait to try this!


Easy pad thai

by Patricia on May 11, 2010 · 33 comments
pad thai

I have had a love-hate relationship with Pad Thai for a while now. I loved it when I had it in Thailand and I hated it anytime I ordered it at a restaurant stateside. You see, the so-called Pad Thai I’ve had in restaurants has always been coated in this weird orange-colored sauce that scares me. It tastes funny too. But when I visited Thailand 7 years ago, I learned that real Pad Thai is not orange or scary. Not even a little bit.

I also learned that the peppers in the panang curry in Thailand are not bell peppers like they are over here. I learned this as the locals in the restaurant all laughed at me when I burst into flames. Well, maybe I didn’t burst into flames and maybe they didn’t laugh at me, but it was a lesson I will never forget. Peppers in Thailand are hot… even the ones that look like bell peppers.

Anyway, enough about spontaneous combustion. I was telling you about my love-hate relationship with Pad Thai. I still sometimes order it, holding out hope that I’ll find the same light, fresh noodles sans freaky orange sauce that I loved in Thailand only to be disappointed once again.
But no more. Not since I found an easy and tasty Pad Thai recipe in the latest issue of Everyday Food (which by the way is quickly becoming my favorite food magazine).

magazine

Granted, the recipe is not 100% authentic — it doesn’t use fish sauce and tamarind and the 100 other ingredients the authentic version calls for — but it is light and fresh and easy with a capital E. You can seriously have this ready in 30 minutes flat (and most of that time is just soaking the noodles). I’ve made it 4 times in 2 weeks and unless I am on a beach in Thailand, I am never ordering Pad Thai in a restaurant again.

Now, let’s make some Pad Thai…


rice noodles

First, you need 8 ounces of wide, flat rice noodles. The kind I use comes in a 16 ounce box, so I use about half a box.

rice noodles

Soak the noodles according to the package directions. The ones I use get soaked in hot (not boiling) water (like the hottest tap water) for 25 minutes.

cilantro, peanuts, lime

Chop up some cilantro and some salted peanuts. Also slice a lime into wedges. Set aside.

soy sauce, lime, brown sugar

For the non-freaky, non-orange-colored sauce you need soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. (See nothing scary).

brown sugar

In a small bowl, measure 2 tablespoons of brown sugar

squeezing limes

plus 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice (which is about the juice of 1 lime)

making pad thai

plus 3 tablespoons of soy sauce. Whisk this together until the sugar is dissolved.

sriracha

If you have it around, add a squirt of Sriracha. A squirt amounts to maybe a 1/8 teaspoon. Just a little bit adds a nice flavor without making it spicy. If you really like spicy, you can add more but I usually just add a little squirt then Dan can add
more when he’s eating if he wants it spicier.

green onions

Grab about 3 scallions (aka green onions). I keep mine in a small glass with some water. I find this keeps them fresher longer so I can use them up throughout the week (instead of finding them wilted and gross in the refrigerator after 2 days).

green onions green onions

Separate the white and green parts. Slice the white parts thinly. Cut the green parts into ribbons (about 2 inches long).

eggs

You’ll need 2 eggs.

eggs

Beat ‘em up.

eggs

No, really. Beat ‘em good.

garlic

A lonely clove of garlic. If it is a runt, use 2. You’re going to want to mince it or use a garlic press (this is my favorite garlic press).

hot pan

When the noodles are done soaking, drain them and set aside. Don’t worry if they don’t feel “done”, they will cook in the pan and be perfect. I was worried the first time but it all worked out even though the noodles felt a little leathery after their hot bath.

Heat a couple of teaspoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.

making pad thai

Collect all of the prepared ingredients. You’ll want them handy because it all goes really fast from here. P.S. You want to have a clean plate or bowl nearby, you’ll need it in a minute.

making pad thai

Throw the white parts of the scallions and the minced/pressed garlic into the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until it is fragrant (about 30 seconds).

making pad thai

Add the eggs to the skillet.

making pad thai

Cook it and scrape with a spatula…

making pad thai

until almost set (about 30 seconds – 1 minute).

making pad thai

Now you use that clean plate/bowl: put the eggs aside.

making pad thai

Toss the noodles in the pan.

making pad thai
With the green parts of your scallions.

making pad thai

Pour in the non-freaky, non-orange sauce.

making pad thai

Stir it all around until the noodles are soft (about 1 minute).

making pad thai

This is your opportunity to separate any noodles that are stuck together. They don’t always stick together but sometimes a few fall in love and you have to step in and break things up.

making pad thai

Add the eggs back to the pan and toss to coat

making pad thai

Breaking up the eggs gently.

pad thai

Now comes the fun part…

pad thai

Top off each serving with a little cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve with a lime wedge. Eat it. It’s good. Seriously.

Easy Pad Thai

(adapted from Everyday Food)
Serves 4
8 ounces dried, wide and flat rice noodles
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 squirt (about 1/8 teaspoon) Sriracha (optional)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 large eggs, light beaten (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts

  1. Soak noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
  3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
  4. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add eggs and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.
  5. Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently.
  6. Serve noodles with lime wedges, topped with cilantro and peanuts.

Notes and variations

  • Per serving: 315 calories, 7g fat (0.9g saturated fat), 3.6g protein, 60.5g carb, 1.4g fiber
  • Per serving: $1.50 or less.
  • As long as you use a gluten-free soy sauce, this is a gluten-free recipe.
  • Vegetarian, even. Skip the eggs for vegan.
  • If you’re a carnivore try this: While the noodles are soaking, cut up 1 small chicken breast (or half of one of the colossal ones) into bite sized pieces. Marinate the chicken in a little bit of soy sauce and garlic (or make a little extra of the sauce for the noodles and marinate the chicken in that). OR: use shrimp (marinate same as chicken)… heck, use both. Cook them before you add the noodles to the pan.
  • Leftovers: heat in the microwave or toss in a hot skillet for a minute to warm the noodles. Not as good as the first day but with a little extra lime juice, it makes a nice leftover-lunch.

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER