Monday, August 27, 2012

They're back!! Tips for surviving the first day/semester of classes for Student Affairs Professionals

So, that time of the year has come to pass and well, They're back!! You can say goodbye to quiet summer streets, quasi regular traffic, short lines (if any at all) wherever you go, and just a general sense of peace and quiet. Now don't get me wrong, I love my students and I love my job, but some of my students' fellow Aggies just tend to complicate things here in Aggieland. Hence, without further ado, here are some tools and tips of the trade for surviving the first day/semester of classes: *Disclaimer, I know that not all of these may apply to you, but they've been helpful for me in the past...

Tip # 1: Depending on where you’re coming from in College Station or Bryan, you’ll probably have to add an extra 15-20 minutes to your morning drive (thanks to lovely traffic and school zones)

Tip # 2: Do your grocery shopping at odd hours (if possible) to avoid the crowds. We've actually started shopping late at night or early in the morning depending on what we're buying.

Tip # 3: Be prepared for potentially exceedingly long waits at restaurants

Tip # 4: Take caution when driving (especially on Texas and University) as we have a bunch of students whom either have no idea where they are going because they are experiencing Aggieland driving for the first time or they’ve been here before and just forgot where everything is over the summer. Be aware that many of them have never heard of a turn signal or choose not to use it, so it's not uncommon to see them cross 4 lanes of traffic in one foul swoop.

Tip #5: If you are working odd/late hours like me, make sure to have the conversation with your boyfriend/girlfriend, significant other, roomate(s), and family, and if you're anything like me, you'll have to remind them that you love them even if you become a crazed, over tired and stressed newer version of yourself for a few months.

Tip # 6: Work/Life Balance: Very appropriate in regards to #6, make sure to take time for you and talk to your supervisor about finding balance in your schedule. Burn out does happen before you know it and the last thing you want is to make yourself sick and/or allow your relationships to suffer.

Tip #7: Know when to say No and don't be afraid to say it

Tip #8: Make sure to set expectations with your students so that they know what you expect and how to work with you best

Tip #9: Make the most of the time with your students and just be you! They may drive us crazy sometimes but they mean well!

and Finally, Tip # 10: Just remember, Only 255 days 13 hours 39 minutes and 15 seconds until summer!!

Have an amazing first week of classes!!!

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER