Thursday, January 14, 2016

All that glitters...

Since I was born I have always gravitated to symbols like evil eyes and hamsas and my mom and abuela always ensured that I was "armed" with beautiful bracelets and amulets to protect me. My personal motto is that you can never have enough hamsas or evil eyes so I set out to make my own to reflect my personal style. After modeling them my friends and family asked me to make them for them too, so here we are! 

Before I showcase some of my newest designs, I wanted to share with you some information about the origins of the Hamsa and Evil Eye courtesy of  www.hamsameaning.com

Hamsa Meaning - Where Does Hamsa Originate ? 
Whilst today we do not exactly know the true origins of Hamsa Hand symbol. We do know however, that throughout registered history, humankind has adopted the hand symbol in every culture without exception.

Ever since ancient times we have always been aware of the energies spreading from within the palm. All human movements under the command of the brain are linked with hand-eye coordination and so civilizations and ancient cultures created a mystery around it, which was the beginning of Hamsa icon.

Hamsa Meaning or Hand of Fatima - 

A Universal Symbol of Protection - Studies have shown that this image and belief started to solidify in the Middle East, before the time of the main Egyptian civilizations in two basic forms.
In its simplest form the symbol for Hamsa is the hand.
It is talismanic symbol that they believed would protect them from harm against the evil forces and bring them goodness, abundance, fertility, luck and good health. 
Hamsa is an icon used by man as a defence, in his struggle against the forces of evil.

The Hamsa icon not only has a special place in Judaism, it has also evolved to become regarded as sacred and respected symbol in Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shamanism, Jain beliefs and in Anatolia.

The Evil Eye

The fear of the evil eye has been ongoing since prehistoric times. It represents the fear of those destructive energies that arises from negative emotions, like jealousy hatred and envy. Desire for protection against these negative emotions is a universal impulse and for thousands of years the peoples of many ancient cultures and religions resorted to unimaginable procedures and sacred symbols to protect them and stop them becoming a target for these evil forces. 

Many early cultures adopted the eye as an icon for their protection, others used Hamsa and so over time the most popular universal symbol became an eye placed in the palm of a hand. The power of the eye inserted into Hamsa combined their power and introduced the idea of obtaining a more powerful talisman by combining the power of two. Today the Hamsa with Evil Eye icon and symbol has reached its final form and found an ideal place in the world of symbols. Aesthetically it is uses as a stylish and beautiful figure for the decorative arts and intellectually, it is used for religious beliefs and is accepted as an icon / mascot or charm, which attracts goodness, luck and abundance, whilst propelling the forces of evil.

While Jubana's Jewels is not at this time a venture that I can retire off of it's been a great way to express my creativity, craft unique and personal gifts, and originally pass the time as I was waiting my new adventure to begin. I'm always open to artistic ideas so if you have something that you'd like to see let me know! https://www.etsy.com/shop/JubanasJewels





 







About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER