Friday, January 8, 2016

Just call me Heinz, It's time to do some major catch up...

So my last blog post was dated 2013 and needless to say a lot has changed since then. Here's a quick list of the highlights:

In 2013 we bid adieu to 2013 and the events that continue to help shape the person that I'm becoming. To name a few, Brad and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary, Manny turned 2 years old, celebrated my 31st birthday with two of my best friends, left a job that afforded me the opportunity to work with students that have now become my extended family, started a new job where I got to work with the most supportive and goofy people on the planet, and lost my abuelo. 

My abuelo was my best friend, my confidant, my cheerleader, my partner in crime, my security blanket, my hero, and more than words can describe. We had to say goodbye to him in November and I miss him everyday.

Yes, 2013 we had our ups and downs but I am so thankful for those moments because they are helping me to become better, stronger, more grateful, and are part of my life's journey. 

In 2014, Brad received a phone call that would provide us an opportunity to move on to bigger and better things together. That phone call came from Carnegie Mellon University with an incredible job offer. Our house sold in less than 24 hours and I'm just played the waiting game with my job search. I moved Brad up to Pittsburgh in May and I stayed in College Station until the end of June after we sold our house. We're so grateful to A&M for the wonderful opportunities we had been given and all of the friends we've made there. 


Throughout the summer of 2014 I explored the city and applied to, I'm not exaggerating, over 100 jobs and after 10 plus jobs I was offered a position with the Katz Graduate School of Business as their Assistant Director of Student Recruitment. Let me tell you that as frustrated and impatient I was starting to become this job was worth every minute I had to wait. I love my job and I look forward to hopefully being here for a long time. 

 

During this time I was able to do a lot of long overdue self care, healing, and I discovered my love, and a new hobby, for making jewelry. I even started my own Etsy shop. 


In September we were fortunate enough to purchase our second home. This time we opted for a beautiful victorian built in 1900 which came with wonderful neighbors and beautiful views of the city. 


That December we had our first out of town visitors! My mom and brother David joined us in Pittsburgh for the christmas break. It was cold but we had a great time showing them some Burgh hospitality. 



In 2015 we continued welcoming visitors to the Burgh with Brad's family for Passover and a summer filled with awesome reunions with our now neighbor, Becky in Baltimore, Gordon, and my best friend Rosie. We were also lucky enough to see two of our favorite people tie the knot this past summer in Atlanta. 




The summer also kicked off to insane travel season where I got to visit Boston, DC, Chicago (twice), Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, and Lansing/Farmington Hills. One of the highlights was being able to visit Michigan with Brad and see where he grew up as well as his old stomping grounds from when he was in Law School. 

In August we celebrate all that is Manny and his 4th birthday!! Time truly flies. 




In October we hosted our first ever Diversity Student Weekend which I planned and executed with the help of our amazing students and staff. Later on in the month my mom, Alle, and Mica also came to visit followed by my former students, Chris and Andrea. 





A few weeks later we drove down to Texas for Thanksgiving. Needless to say we were not driving anywhere longer than 3 hours again for awhile.


Professionally and personally I'm happy to say that I am the proud founder of the first ever Hispanic Latino Professional Association at the University of Pittsburgh. I've definitely got my work cut out for me but we're moving forward. Sigue Pa'lante no Detras!



I also made my web debut via my wonderful friend Tara's blog, Cafe Con Leche 


Cafe con Leche uses a creative approach, infusing art and culture to engage Latinos and build brand relationships. We are the recognized expert in providing insights and reaching the Latino segment in the Pittsburgh region. Using a creative approach, we identify influencers and connect the dots that others do not see. Cafe Con Leche is the authentic way to reach Latinos in the Pittsburgh region. 

Definitely check out their page and the amazing work that they are doing here in LatinoBurgh. 

Now 2016 is here and I am incredibly excited to see what this year will bring. 


Until next time.

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER