Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chick Flicks, fairy tales, and dating...

Growing up I loved fairy tales. What little girl didn't? I would crawl into my Abuelo's lap, beg him to tell me a story, and hang onto every word, losing myself in the fantasy until he finished. No matter which story or the outcome, I grew up believing that I was a princess and one day, once I was grown, I would meet my Prince...When we're young we are innocent, idealistic, and more open to the possibilities of what life might bring...We believe in fairy tales, magic, far away lands, and that good will always conquer evil, no matter the odds. As we get older we become jaded. We forget.

Let's review the standard fairy tale formula, for old times sake...
1 Part kingdom far away
Add one fair maiden
One witch, stepmother, evil entity
A heavy dose of magic, fairy dust, fairy g-mother, etc
2 cups of romance
2 cups of evil, conflict/strife
1 Handsome Prince
And stir it all together
The Final product? Happily ever after

You and I both know that life...well, it doesn't happen like that, no matter how many romantic chick flicks, cheesy sitcoms, romantic novels, or lifetime movies Hollywood throws together. Why?? Because dating is not that simple. As much as we would like the happily ever after, it doesn't just magically happen. And after awhile, the broken promises, hurt, games, fighting, and the waiting gets old. Why do we insist on playing games? Is it to try to relive our childhood? If so, is it really worth it if it's at someone else's expense? Why can't we just be honest with each other about how we feel?

Life and love aren't perfect, wake up people, it's not supposed to be. With every experience, every relationship, every break up, every person we meet we are changed. If things were perfect and idyllic we would never learn anything and life would have no meaning. No matter how difficult or horrible the situation, everything happens for a reason and while it may be hard to see why this very moment...you will in time and you will be better for it. Create your own fairy tale, so your love life hasn't been perfect, so what? Learn from your past, make the most out of your present, and look forward to an even brighter future.

Think I'm dreaming? Idealistic? Overly optimistic? Maybe. But I'll take my chances with fairy tales...My Prince Charming, despite my own doubts and fears, has shown up, and I know that the end has completely and totally justified the means. It's cliche, but it doesn't make it any less true, there is someone out there for you and when it's right you will have no doubt in your mind, or your heart. In the meantime, here's my advice to my single friends out there, don't stress...just let go and let the universe take care of the rest. Enjoy your life and do what makes you happy because they're going to show up when you least expect it ;)


About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER