Sunday, February 6, 2011

And I chose the road less traveled...

When I created this blog I noticed immediately that there was the ominous "About me" section. I spent countless minutes trying to decide exactly how to answer that prompt. What about me should I share? What thrilling adventures should I divulge? Well, I decided that every good story starts the same way, with a beginning...

Once upon a time...I came into this world screaming at 1:00 in the afternoon on July 17th, 1982 and have maintained the same spirited attitude ever since. Growing up in a family that hails from what seems like half of the world (Cuba, Poland, Turkey, Spain, and others far and few in between) made for a very colorful, loving, spirited, musical, and rich childhood. My fondest memories come from spending time with my Abuelos (grandparents), learning about our family's rich history, how to cook, dance, the importance of family, and building a foundation for my Spanish (which is continuously a work in progress). Growing up I did all the typical kid things like hanging out with friends, attended dance classes, made a foul attempt at sleep away camp, went on vacations with the family, made and lost a ton of friends, had many boyfriends (more like boys who were friends), and made some great memories. Joining BBYO (B'nai B'rith Youth Organization) was the milestone that helped me come one step closer to finding my true identity and helped me learn some great life lessons along the way. 

After graduating from High School I attended the University of Kansas and received my Bachelor of Arts in Communications with a minor in Leadership in 2000. I will never forget the numerous lessons learned, the incredible people to who helped me to discover myself and have helped me become the person that I am today. This above all, once a Jayhawk, always a Jayhawk. I will forever bleed Crimson and Blue and get the chills when I hear "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" or the first few lines of our amazing Alma Mater. Now a college graduate I moved back to Dallas and set out to find out what the hell I was going to do next.

If you've ever seen my resume you would know that I've worked in a couple different industries, only until recently and after surviving my Masters, have I figured out what I want to be when I grow up. Thanks to the Academic powers that be and probably with a little help from the universe, I've landed at Texas A&M and am working as a Program Advisor for two of the coolest groups on campus. I love my job and am excited to wake up everyday and go to work.

Also, I am very excited to say that my life would not be the same without my incredibly loving and amazing boyfriend. I can honestly say that I finally know true love now that I've met him and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him.

I know that this doesn't even begin to touch on the complexities that make up my life but I hope that it sheds some light on a few important relics I've picked up along my travels through my life so far. My journey has just begun and I intend to continue on the road less traveled because it has and will continue to make all the difference...


About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER