Sunday, February 13, 2011

Life, Love, and other series of events...

I have always believed that my life has been a series of random events brought together to form my destiny. When I was younger I would agonize over strained friendships, heart breaks by mean little boys, lost opportunities, and other difficulties that came my way. Until I graduated from High School I never truly understood why things happened the way they did. I finally began to put together the pieces of the puzzle. No matter how difficult or confusing the situation, things did happen for a reason and although I didn't understand why at the time, I would eventually see that it was for the best.

Once in college I didn't really date, I crushed a lot but never really found anyone of substance. I would occasionally question why everyone around me was paired up but then I realized that my energy was meant elsewhere. Not everything was always perfect and things didn't always work out the way I had liked but looking back some of my greatest memories come from the friendships I made, organizations I was a part of, and the leadership positions I held. Each experience helped me to grow and develop as leader and a person.

In my Post college years I have continued on my search to find myself. I've made and lost several friends, worked at a couple different places, and lived in a few different zip codes. I've felt happiness, sadness, disappointment, anger, you name it. But no matter what I pressed on and took every moment in stride, even if it took me longer than I would have liked. When I moved back to Kansas after graduation and a short period of time in Dallas, I made some great memories with old a new friends, reconnected with my love of Lawrence, and survived some pretty ridiculous winters. I like to call this period of time the post transition. When the cold became too much to bear and I found myself dreaming of palm trees and breezy beaches I knew that it was time to move on. Thanks to a friend at the time who had moved to Florida, I was able to find a new job at a local college.

In a matter of weeks I had moved over 400 miles away from my friends and family to a brand new place. Tampa had promised a time of rebirth and renewal. The first year was great as I made a ton of new friends, loved my job (the majority of the time), and lived 15 minutes away from the beach. As time passed, the work became less of a passion and more a burden, the cost of living more expensive, the guys became more and more self absorbed and shady, and I knew that I no longer saw myself living in Florida. As with many situations in my life, like a clockwork, and almost when I had given up on finding a new job, my brother texted me to let me know that the Hillel at A&M was hiring and I should apply. I was a little hesitant at first, especially since who the hell lived in College Station other than Aggies??? Unbeknownst to me I would shortly become one of them. I call this period of time in my life the Renaissance.

In moving to College Station I knew a total of two people, my brother and a mutual friend who had helped to persuade me to relocate. It was great living in a college town again, usually little to no traffic, lived super close to my job, and I was less than 2 hours away from my sorority sisters in Houston. The dating scene as you could imagine was pretty dismal, however I as usual, had my fair share of crushes, some almost terminal you might say. I had tried jdate, match, eharmony, you name it! I even let my brother set me up with one of his fraternity brothers, oy to the vey. Things were getting very frustrating and everyone kept putting pressure on me to go on these second dates with these subpar prospects, however my internal compass always kept me on the right path. I focused on grad school and my job which usually kept me very busy and started to plan a long overdue trip with two of my best friends to Acapulco. Once again, getting frustrated with stupid cupid's lack of aim, I gave jdate one last chance. Hearing from another sleezebag basically did me in and I decided to cancel my membership. However, somehow fate stepped in and sent me a message, literally. Upon logging in I noticed that I had a message. He seemed, sweet, endearing, and most importantly, sane, so I responded. Who knew that because of one e-mail, especially from Jdate of all places, I would be so ridiculously happy today. As many of you know, I am no longer at Hillel and am now working for Texas A&M. It wasn't an easy decision but I can safely say that it was the best decision I have made in a long time. I'm not sure what the universe has planned for me next but I promise to keep you updated, as always. Lastly, remember to be good to each other.

About Mariam

Life is sweet

Life is sweet

And they lived happily ever after

And they lived happily ever after

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

One day a beautiful Jewish girl met a nice Jewish boy and made their mothers very, very, very happy

About Me

For those of you who know me, writing has always been one of my passions, with the exception of my Masters or any ridiculously long testament within the wide world of Academia. I've only had the pleasure of blogging a couple of times, mostly for a few classes in graduate school, but figured it was time to organize my numerous thoughts and musings with all of you out there in cyber land. I created this page because my mind is always running and often times my thoughts get lost in the hubub. Plus, my friends have always said that I'm a great storyteller, so I'd love to share them now with you. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this... Throughout the past 33 years of my life I've seen, heard, and experienced so many different things as well as had many adventures and dream of so many possibilities. But in short, what it comes down to is this..I'm just a little Jubana trying to make a difference in the world. Everyday I live my life to the fullest and have fun doing it. Life can't always be about work or how much money you make. There's so much more to life than that.

IMPORTANT LINKS

DISCLAIMER